Route of 800 km Death March by Jewish Women from
Slawa to Volary/Prachatice (20 Jan - 5 May 1945)
• photos of survivors (partial list)
52 young Jewish women survivors pose in Vodnany school-hospital
before release. Center front are 4 Czech Nurses. Survivors
from Neu Vorwerk had marched 800 kilometers, often without
shoes. Survivors from DWM (Deutsche Wollenwaren Manufaktur)
had marched 700 kilometers.
the picture to see large size)
21. Majer/Markswicz, Pola
= Nurses, S = Staff
• photos of SS guards on the Death March from Helmbrechts
1. SS Private Walter Kowaliv named "the shooter"
by prisoners. His post was at the end of the March column.
He shot any woman prisoner who could walk no farther
2. SS guard Ingebord Schimming murdered more than 30 women
prisoners. She was protected by the "Stasi" against
extradition to Czechoslovakia
3. SS guard Ruth Hildner. In Pisek at 12 noon, May 2, 1947
she was sentenced to be hanged for her crimes. Six hours
later she was executed
4. SS Pfc Sebastian Kraschansky. On May 5, 1948 he together
with SS Pvt. Michael Weingartner murdered 22 Jewish women
and girls who could walk no farther
5. SS Cpl. Paul Letmethe. On the last day of the war he
shot to death an exhausted Jewish woman prisoner despite
an order of "no more killings"
6. SS Cpl. Werner Jarritz. His duty was to be in charge
of the wagons carrying ill prisoners. When the wagons were
full, the women were shot that night
7. Herta Haase - Commandant of women prisoners at FAL Helmbrechts.
During the Death March from Helmbrechts to Prachatice she
beat to death many prisoners. Never punished
8. SS Sgt Alois Dörr 58 - was sentenced at a War Crimes
Trial to 'Life in Prison' - He was freed after serving ten